Monday, February 20, 2012

Beef Stroganoff

Today I was craving beef...  so weird considering I am not really a huge beef fan but I saw a picture of beef stroganoff on Pinterest that looked amazing so I decided to create my own :)  I tried to take more pictures so hopefully my description will make more sense if you would like to create it on your own.

I started by slicing the sirloin into strips and putting them in a Ziploc and lightly coating them with a little soy sauce.  Pictured above.  I let this mixture sit in the fridge for about 20 minutes.  While that was in the fridge I chopped up some onions and mushrooms and started to saute them in olive oil...
While they were cooking I mixed together approx 3 tablespoons flour, salt, pepper, garlic powder, onion powder, mustard powder.  Then I dumped it in the bag with the beef and tossed it around to coat.  When the onions where just starting to turn translucent I took them out of the pan and put them off to the side.  Then I added a little more olive oil to the pan and added the beef.
onions and mushrooms resting
beef while cooking

when the beef was almost done I added the mushrooms and onions back to the pan.  I let that mixture cook a little while longer and then I added a cup and half of beef stock to the pan and stirred it frequently to get all of the amazing flavorful bits off of the bottom of the pan.  I let it simmer for a few minutes until it was thickened and then added a 1/4 cup of sour cream and a handful of Parmesan cheese.  I mixed in the cheese until it was blended well and then added a handful of peas.  I forgot to mention that during this process I boiled water and made a bag of whole wheat egg noodles.  Here is the finished product...


It was seriously amazing and totally hit the spot!  So I am trying really hard to pay attention to what I add while I cook.  My goal is to actually have an ingredient list and a recipe that makes sense someday.  For now this will have to work :) baby steps right?!?

Thanks for looking!

No comments:

Post a Comment