Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Zeke's Squash Soup

Good Morning! 
Drum roll please...
 I have a real recipe for you today and it is FABULOUS!!  I don't have a picture at the moment but I will add one shortly.  I made this soup over the weekend and had a few requests for the recipe so here it is.  I think it makes sense...

Zeke’s Squash Soup      

8 Cups chopped onion
4 Cups acorn squash peeled, seeded and chopped
4 Cups butternut squash peeled seeded, and chopped
Cover with one container (carton) Swanson’s 33% reduced sodium chicken broth
Cook until veggies are tender
1 little box fresh sage, leaves only. add when squash is about halfway done
Puree mixture in blender when squash is soft
Make roux:
¼ cup flour and ¼ cup butter cooked until nutty and light brown in color not black. Thicken puree with the roux. Add a 1/2 pint heavy cream, salt and pepper to taste, and garnish with a few teaspoons cream ,not cream fraiche, and grated 3yr. gouda or some smoked cheese and chopped parsley or a few pieces sage chopped.  I strongly recommend the 3yr gouda I think it makes the soup just perfect!

This soup is so easy and so delicious.  I totally recommend it even if you are not a squash person!

2 comments:

  1. Sounds amazing! I need a lighter version lol :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. honestly, I don't even think I needed to add the heavy cream. After I pureed it it was perfectly fine. It would actually be quite healthy without the cream.

    ReplyDelete